Kick it






I hadn't realised what a toll it was taking. Monitoring the social media accounts of our cyber bully has been shattering.  Skimming through a long list of tweets hating on everything and everyone. I've always considered myself to be open and embracing. Curious and accepting of difference in people and ways of existing. And I really fucking hate bullies.  This is why months of reading through the hate fuelled rubbish on his accounts is exhausting.

Music has always been my salvation and I've written before about the soundtracks to particular times in my life. I can tell you where I was (usually driving in my car with the stereo up loud) when a song somehow summed up my emotional state and linked itself forever with my life.

And so it was recently.  One person's voice made me smile as it blared out of my car stereo. "My words are my armour and you're 'bout to meet your karma" is a line from the opening track (Karmageddon) on M.I.A.'s Mitangi album. This album is packed with utter gems and I found myself walking in to work or through the front door at home with what could only be described as a strut. She had taken me from downtrodden and downhearted to sassy.  With a glint in my eye, and a knowing smile, I felt I could kick any fascist nutjob to the curb.

Reading the cyber bully's twitter feed I learnt new hateful words to describe women. It seems we have no redeaming qualities whatsoever. And for this reason, it seemed even more joyous to listen to M.I.A. and have a strong, smart, empathic and passionate woman's voice in my ears. She had saved me from the abyss that was 2017. The year ended with a growl, that at the beginning of 2018 became a loud roar of women's voices in both the mainstream and social media.

I realised how important music was to changing my mood, so I wanted to compile a list of great female empowerment songs. Whether that be through anger, humour, friendship, love, storytelling.... songs that made you feel better about yourself or the world you inhabit. The list should be as diverse as both the people singing and listening.  I've asked friends via Facebook to share with me their songs. I was overjoyed and overwhelmed with their responses. Their lists are at the end of this post.

But, here is my playlist.  It is a combination of music that is important to me and important for everyone to hear.

Of course it had to begin with the woman who started it all:

M.I.A.

There is so much to love about M.I.A. She is British/Sri Lankan, an artist, activist, musician and philanthropist. Politics and social justice are themes in much of her music. She is so incredibly creative. I find her inspiring...and a woman who makes me strut. Her Mitangi (2013) album is utter sass and empowerment. You should be truely inspied by her song and video (which she directed) Borders, (2015) responding to the refugee crisis in the UK and Europe.

But here are some of my faves of a wholey wonderful album

Bad Girls


Y.A.L.A.


Atention



X-Ray Spex
 
How can you not love a song with the words 'Up Yours!' in the title?  Next is X-Ray Spex, a 1970s english punk band. Poly Styrene's voice reminds me so much of bands who would inspire me as part of the 90s Riot Grrl movement.  Here are two songs that instantly put a smile on my face.

Oh Bondage Up Yours!



Germ Free Adolescents



The Slits

And while we're in 70s punk territory, I can't not list something from The Slits.  Guitarist Viv Albertine attended an exhibition in 2016 on punk. She hand wrote on the exhibition panels to add information about the women who's contribution to this period had mysteriously been ignored. It's good to see punk attitude never leaves some people. I just love this version of a classic song.

I Heard It Through The Grapevine


Patti Smith

'Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine' has to be one of the best opening lines of any song ever. Punk poet, author, artist, political activist. Patti Smith's album Horses has been a touchstone for so many people and inspired many musicians.  Local artists Jen Cloher, Adalita, Courtney Barnett and others performed the album live.

Gloria

Further listening from the late 70s /early 80s: our very own pouting powerhouse Chrissie Amphlett in the Divinyls 'Boys in town' and Blondie 'Rapture' and 'Heart of glass'.

I was in my 20s during the 1990s. It was a great time for strong female voices in music. There are so, so many performers who influenced me.  Here are a few (I'll try to restrain myself).

Hole

I have to start this section with Hole. They were such a big influence on many people I know. Courtney has been reveered and reviled ever since stepping into the public eye. The entire Live Through This album is a craker, and listening to it again recently, it stands the test of time. There are many songs I could have chosen but I just love these lyrics: "Just you try to hold me down, Come on, try to shut me up" (Gutless).  I read this article recently which discussed how Courtney was judged more harshly because of her gender. Yep. It still rings true today.

Gutless


Babes in Toyland

I've described Babes in Toyland's Fontanelle album as akin to primal scream therapy. Nothing quite gets anger out of me like Kat Bjelland's manical psychotic singing. Again it's nearly impossible to limit it to one song so I've chosen two.  I'd also recommend checking out Kat's solo work with Katastrophy Wife.

Swamp Pussy

We Are Family



L7

Another all female rock band, L7 take no prisoners. Notoriously, vocalist Donita Sparks removed her tampon and threw it into the crowd at the Reading Festival, when the crowd thew mud at them. With lyrics like 'Got so much clit she don't need no balls' (Fast and Frightening) listening to this will make you feel like you can take on anything.  Or heaven help the person who gets in your way. Check out their awesomely named songs Shit List  and Shove for extra fist pumping goodness.

Fast and Frightening


Drama



Sonic Youth / Kim Gordon 

Although a band with three vocalists, Kim Gordon's contribution to Sonic Youth is enormous. No-one comes close to her attitude and coolness. Her style of singing (a spoken word breathy groan), her clothes (in particular a studded collar, 'Eat Me' tshirt or silver hotpants), she was a rock n roll wife and mother. She sang an ode to Karen Carpenter (and her anorexia) in Tunic, and gave us the fabulous line 'I love you, what's your name?' on Drunken Butterfly. Her break up with Thurston Moore shocked many fans, but her book 'Girl in a band' is a great read and insight into juggling music, relationships and being a rock n roll Mum.  We will be forever greatful for the song Kool Thing.  These lyrics should be sung by all women and girls everywhere:

"Hey, Kool Thing, come here, sit down beside me
There's something I got to ask you.
I just want to know, what are you gonna do for me?
I mean, are you gonna liberate us girls
From male white corporate oppression?
Fear of a Female Planet..."

She is uncompromising in all her artisitic endeavours, Free Kitten, Body/Head, solo music or art.

Kool Thing


 Bull in the Heather




The Breeders

I remember seeing a photo of The Breeders in Rolling Stone. The band was standing in water (presumable to promote their album Last Splash) with sisters Kim and Kelley Deal at the front. I looked at their thighs, as chunky as mine, and was comforted by these regular looking people making great music. Check out Kim's work with The Pixies and The Amps. Kelley's road has been harder, but you can find her work at The Kelley Deal 6000 or her knitting products! Like regular people they have dealt with very human problems (their Mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and Kim moved home to help her Dad). There may be hard times, but 'summer is ready when you are'.

Saints



Liz Phair

It wasn't all loud and angry in the 90s. I fell in love with Liz Phair's music after seeing the clip to Supernova.  Her album Exile in Guyville was a song-for-song response to the Rolling Stones' Exile on Mainstreet album. A female reinterpretation or response to each song. What a fucking genius idea. Small and sassy Liz isn't afraid of swearing (another reason to love her) or talk about sex from a female perspective (see Flower and Fuck and Run). As a chronicly shy person throughout my 20s I loved the lyrics 'girls who are shyly brave' in 6'1". Proving that quiet can still pack a punch.

Mesmerising


Divorce Song



Elastica

And it wasn't all american music on my stereo in the 90s. I present Elastica. Justine Frischmann was a fabulous combination of cool swagger, sass and humour. Bringing female sexuality to the fore, and confronting straying boyfriends. There's great songs on both albums,  Elastica and the Menace. Elastica were the perfect antidote to Lad Culture rife in the english music scene. One raised eye brow from Justine was all it took for us to fall in love with her.

Stutter




Smile


Other listening from the 90s: Veruca Salt 'Seether', Portishead (this live concert is spectacular), Bjork (always original, always unique), Mazzy Star (mesmerising and dreamlike).


Riot Grrls
I feel so lucky to have been in my 20s during the Riot Grrl movement. Their punk DIY approach to music and singing songs about issues affecting women and girls changed the landscape and inspired so many people. The personal was political and I love them for it. It's feminism you can dance to.

Kathleen Hanna

Kathleen has been involved with so many influential bands.  She had a documentary made about her (The Punk Singer) and was responsible for inspiring Kurt Cobain to write Smells Like Teen Spirit. She helped gigs be safe spaces of women with her 'Girls to the Front' battlecry. All three of her bands make awesome music; Bikini Kill, Le Tigre and The Julie Ruin. Her energy and voice make her an amazing and unique performer.

Bikini Kill - Rebel Girl

Le Tigre - TKO

Sleater-Kinney

Where do I begin? I love this band with all my heart. I can bearly articulate what they mean to me. Simply two guitars and drums. Their unique playing styles, vocals and lyrics have always floored me. Their's was the 'getting ready to go out' music I listened to. They took a near 10 year hiatus and I'm so pleased to hear them creating music again. Carrie, Corin and Janet are incredible musicians and performers. Go listen to everything (or watch this live concert). I have always had a massive girl crush on Corin. Carrie's book 'Hunger makes me a modern girl' is autobiographical and talks of the anxiety which lead to the band's hiatus. Again, how can I choose which songs? Their One Beat record was recorded in the wake of September 11 and inspired these lyrics (on Step Aside):

Janet, Carrie, can you feel it
Knife through the heart of our exploitation
Ladies one time can you hear it
Disassemble your discrimination
When violence rules the world outside
And the headlines make me want to cry
It's not the time to just keep quiet
Speak up one time to the beat


Dig Me Out


You're No Rock N Roll Fun


Youth Decay


Jumpers


Step Aside





The Stayers

Some artists keep reinventing themselves over the years. This gifts us a diverse, interesting and eclectic music collection. These women in particular just seem to get better with age.

Neneh Cherry

Her Mother is a Swedish painter and textile artist, her step-father is American jazz musician Don Cherry. As a teenager she hung out in squats with the Slits and played in different bands. Her lyrics always seem mature and self assured, emotionally honest and intelligent. From her very first single 'Buffalo stance' (1989) the line 'I'll give you love baby, not romance' set her apart as a woman who importantly knew the difference and offered something deeper to us all. Her latest album is some of her greatest work yet.

Buddy X

Blank Project


PJ Harvey

I have come to PJ later in her career. Every album see's a new visual look and a changing musical style. She fit's the description of artist, rather than just musician or singer.  We get to watch her evolve, exploring relationships, lives, and society through her work. She recently put out a book of poetry including photographs by film maker Seamus Murphy, where they travelled to Kosovo, Afghanistan and Washington DC. She is interesting and enigmatic.

Good Fortune


Sheela-na-gig


Snake



Holly Golightly

I discovered Holly via her wonderful Truly She is None Other album. I fell in love with her voice and twangy guitar. She is somehow old school and modern. Beginning in Thee Headcoatees, and dueting with Jack White on It's true that we love one another she has her heart in the 50s and 60s but strays into classic country sounds too.

Walk a Mile


Time Will Tell


Local Heros

I spent a lot of my 20s and 30s watching bands.  It wasn't until I started this post that I began assessing how many women I saw on stage.  Looking back now I am so grateful that there were some fantastic female performers on the local scene.

Magic Dirt / Adalita

The local indie rock scene in Australia tended to be dominated by men. So thank goodness for the guitar weilding godess that is Adalita from Magic Dirt. Relistening to their CDs I've realised that their Friends in Danger album would be on my desert island disc list. Their first ep Life Was Better knocked it out of the park and made us all stand up and pay attention to four kids from Geelong. Adalita's solo albums show her continued artistic explorations. May she make music for many, many years to come.

He Man


I Was Cruel


She-Riff


Blue Sky


Other excellent local bands I saw perform A LOT are: Fur, NinetyNine, The Foots, or bands I listened to: Bidston Moss, New Buffalo, Angie Hart, and the angelic voiced Lisa Miller.

Jen Cloher

Jen's career seems to be like a snowball, rolling downhill and growing in size and momentum. She is an assured and honest songwriter. Her heart is on her sleeve, so much so that the last song on her two last albums without exception has me in tears. Hold My Hand written about her parents relationship as her Mum developed alzheimer's, and Dark Art exploring her relationship with Courtney Barnett. The intimacy with which she writes invites us into her world. She created a list of 100 songs by Australian women that you need to know. You should also make sure you know Jen.

Strong Woman


Numbers


It is so exciting that there is a new generation of young women performers kicking arse. Here are some next generation local heros. Many of them build on the personal/political/feminist ideas of Riot Grrl. Bless 'em.

Cable Ties

You've gotta love a song about helping your best friend get over a break up. Actually, everything they have to say is worth listening to.

Same For Me


Say What You Mean


Camp Cope

These girls called bullshit on the Falls Festival for the lack of women represented on the line up and particularly on the main stage. They are one of a number of performers concerned about reports of sexual assult on women at festival shows, and raised awareness via a tshirt stating "The person wearing this shirt stands against sexual assault and demands a change".

The Opener


Wet Lips

Almost a companion song to Cable Ties 'Same For Me', Wet Lips also have a song about supporting your BFF whenever she needs you.  And I have to say what a fantastic band name they have.

Here If You Need



 Lazertits

And speaking of awesome band names - Lazertits. I really love this band. Gender politics, humour and great tunes. The best.

Bossy Bitch


 Lil Sister


Gender Studies




There are honestly so many more female voices I could add to this list. It could be endless, which is a completely wonderful problem to have. Some that didn't fit into a category but I think are fabulous are: The Donnas (think teenage, female Ramones), Amanda Palmer,  Meow Meow (performing here with Amanda Palmer), Savages, Goldfrapp, Bat for Lashes and the Spice Girls (yes, seriously). And there're other performers I've only heard a little of, but their work has caught my eye: Kate Tempest, Girlpool, Terrible Truths.

And in a weird case of 'timing is everything' I have decided to end my list with Courtney Barnett. She is a wonderful Australian singer songwriter. And in the last couple of weeks she has released a new song about women hating keyboard warriors and cyber bullies.  Thanks for rounding out my list perfectly Courtney. There is also kittens in the film clip :)

Courtney Barnett

Nameless, Faceless



Compiling this list has been an amazing thing.  I have dug deep into my own CD stash and reminisced about what music is important to me, how it has influenced and changed me, and how it has helped me through times in my life. Thank you ladies.

And thank you dear friends who contributed your own suggestions for women and female voices who you think are amazing. Here is their extended list:

Astrid: Anhoni, the lady from Mazzy Star, Nancy Sinatra, Nina Simone
Tricia: Sade and Stevie Nicks
Melinda: Courtney Barnett
Trent: Aldous Harding
Sarah C: PJ Harvey, Lush
Damon: Outright, Leah Senior, Etta James, Alex Lahey, ABBA, The Carpenters, Julien Baker, Angel Olsen, Against Me, Jen Buxton
Karen K: Carol King
Karen B: Janet Jackson
Bec: Pink
Sarah P: Beyonce, Bjork, The Dead Weather, Dresden Dolls, Santigold, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, RuPaul (squeezing this one in), Portishead, Chelsea Wolfe
Rae: Toni Childs, Moloko, Beyonce
Kat: Laurie Anderson, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Michelle Shocked, Patti Smith, PJ Harvey, The Slits, Camera Obscura, Stereolab, The Sugarcubes, Bjork, Joan as Policewoman, The Clouds, Club Hoy, Cleopatra Wang, Frente, Tiddas, Sleater-Kinney, Le Tigre, Babes in Toyland, Bikini Kill, Hole, Mazzy Star, The Breeders, Martina Topley Bird, Adalita, Luluc, The Orbweavers, Courtney Barnett. Recent stuff I've been listening to - Fazerdaze, Cable Ties, Aldous Harding, Charly Bliss
Susan: Hole
Richard: Most anything by Neko Case, Nina Simone, Patti Smith, Emmylou Harris, Pixies, Aretha Franklin, Life without Buildings, Beth Orton, Blondie
Cam: Battle of Mice, Babes in Toyland, Patsy Cline
Damien: Amy Winehouse, Cat Power, Miss Simone, Neneh Cherry, Chrissie Hynde, Sharon Von Etten, Laura Marling, Roxanne Shante, Miriam Makeba, PJ, Nancy S, Hole, M.I.A., Florence, early Tina Turner, Selda Bagcan, Ella, Googoosh, MC Lyte, Alabama Shakes, Patti, 5 6 7 8s, Aretha, Marlena Shaw, Peaches, Nefertiti, Jane Berkin
Caz: Prince Rama
Mary-Louise:  Memphis Minnie, Big Mumma Thornton, Chrissie Amphlet, Laurie Andrerson, Hole
Fi: The Muffs, Patti Smith
Mary: Eartha Kitt, Adele Bethel, Kate Bush, Bjork, Maria Muldaur, Cat POwer, Peaches, Karen Dalton, Cassandra Wilson, Judee Sill, Rickie Lee Jones, First Aid Kit, Grace Jones, Jackie Marshall, Karen O, Suzanne Vega, Sons and Daughters
Jane: Alanis Morissette
Kelli: Carmel
Simon: So many have been mentioned already, however 2 that have really been there for me lots in the last 6 months - Adalita, Camp Cope
Sara B: Low, Tammi Terrell, Scandal Patty Smyth
Sally: Suzanne Vega, Ruth Unger, Liz Stringer, Kathleen Battle, Kathryn Tickell, The Unthanks, Martha Wainwright
Tanya: Pink, Florence and the Machine, Suzi Quatro
Guido: Joan Armatrading
Felicity: Kate Bush
Nicole: Shakespeare's Sister, PJ Harvey, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Kate Bush, Eurythmics and Aretha, Moloko, Florence and the Machine, Goldfrapp, Portishead, Haim, The Jezabels, Little Dragon, Sneaky Sound System, London Grammar, Cyndi Lauper
Kylie: Hole, PJ Harvey, Sleater-Kinney, Bjork, (old) Tori Amos, Solange, Cat Power, Fever Ray, Bikini Kill, Chicks on Speed, Gossip, Kate Bush, Le Togre, Mazzy Star, Patti Smith, Portishead, Veruca Salt, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The xx, Anohni
Penny: Sinead O'Conner, Cocteau Twins, Amy Winehouse, Lorde, Blondie, Tracey Thorn, Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, k.d. Lang, Lana Del Rey, Avril Lavigne, Britney Spears, Elastica, Kelly Clarkson, Beyonce
Molly: Tonight Alive, Paramore, Against Me, Pink, Rihanna, early Avril Lavigne, Lana Del Rey, Eat Your Heart Out, Evanescence, Florence, Halsey, Icon for Hire, Joan Jett, Lady Gaga, Lorde, Pvris
Lynda: Mia Dyson, Kate Bush, Madonna, Sleeper

and of course Peter did his own youtube playlist





Comments

Mary Stone said…
I read this again Andy and cried. Just cried. I fucking hate bullies too! :(