Forward

I've always liked new years.  Not for the crazy drunken exploits or party hard mentality associated with seeing off the last day of the year.  I like it as it feels like both a beginning and an end.  Mentally I draw a line on the year that was and look forward.  A clean slate. A new chapter.

The change over from 2018 to 2019 was a quiet one. Peter and I saw the movie Colette. The story of a female writer finding her voice.  Encouraged by her husband to write, her works were published in his name. Over time she fights for her own identity and acknowledgement for her work.

I sat thinking about this as the evening drew closer to midnight, sipping swanky champagne a lovely work friend gave me.  A gift for reaching a milestone.  The work Facebook page which I manage reached number 3 (in followers) worldwide for academic library pages.  It's quite crazy.  As I drank I thought about people's belief in me. Kind things people have said about my writing, tone and voice. I felt quite emotional (I promise it wasn't just the champagne!) for the support and how lucky I am to have some quite excellent people around me. At midnight Peter and I ran up the laneway and saw the top of the fireworks from the city over the suburban skyline, lit sparklers and drank a toast.

New year's day was warm.  We chilled inside and watched a movie.  One we loved when we saw it over a year ago.  A friend recently watched it and after we talked about how great it is, I was keen to revisit Arrival. A quiet alien movie which focuses more on language and linguistics than on invasion. Unpicking communication; exploring the concept that understanding leads to change.  Every time I watch it I find something new.  It's beautifully written and acted.

One the first day of the new year the constant theme of the last 24 hours had been 'words'. As I look forward to what lies ahead, I see the theme repeating. This is the year I go back to study *gulp* and start my Masters in Communication. I'm still nervous, no matter how much people reassure me. I am trying to focus on other people's belief in me. Their confidence is reassuring and makes me quite emotional and teary. But after blogging for 10 years, and realising how chatty I am on social media, maybe words are my future. This certainly wasn't where I thought life was taking me 12 months ago. I guess that's the thing about moving forward. When you focus on one step at a time you can't always see what what is coming down the road. You just need to be ready to take opportunities and try new things...no matter how scary it might be.  Here's to a new year and learning new things. Wish me luck.


Comments