Stand up. Fight back.




Work is hard. More, now than ever, it feels that the work/life balance is out of kilter. There are a number of reasons I have stayed.  I work with some really exceptional people.  Many of them are dear friends. I'm lucky to have found my tribe many times throughout my time in the job. And I understand that the grass isn't always greener.

But it can be hard working within a large organisation. You can feel undervalued. This is tempered with also feeling lucky to have a job.  I've survived multiple restructures and redundancies. And I do actually care and want to help people. But what do you do when the organisation you work for seems to be getting harder of heart?

The answer: take to the streets. a few weeks ago I, and a few hundred other staff, participated in industrial action. It also coincided with the Australian Unions #changetherules rally. On a chilly autumn morning we gathered. Slowly but surely the numbers swelled. We were bouyed by the amount of staff present. We then marched to the larger rally. We couldn't hear the speeches, so it was a chance to talk to colleagues. Then off we went. Walking into the city.

We were beginning to get a sense of the size of the rally.  Flags of all colours flew around me. Helicopters were overhead. Great. I'll get an idea of how many people later when I see the news. Marching on, we turned into La Trobe street. My friend and I looked at each other. City block after city block was filled with people. I felt like crying. Flags waiving. Hi-vis clothing. People walking their dogs. People pushing prams and carrying babies. We were lucky enough to be near a small band. They played and it felt like a carnival.

It's hard to explain how it felt.  The surge of being part of something so much bigger. We walked through the city and joined in chants.  'I say Union, you say power...UNION...POWER!' People smiled at each other.  Burly blokes and young women with sleeve tattoos and the words 'hairdresser' on their tshirt. It felt like something was shifting. Walking down over Elizabeth street I joined in with a young group of women singing 'Solidarity Forever'. It began to feel surreal.

Unfortunately I had to leave the march and head back to work.  Our action was only for 4 hours.  I jumped the tram back and sat oposite an older woman.  She saw the union badge I was wearing and asked if I'd been at the rally.  I smiled, Yes...it was incredible.  She told me she used to be a teacher and of the trouble her husband faced at his workplace.  A boss who's idea of enterprise bargaining is 'if you don't like it you can fuck off'. When I told her there was 100,000 people there she beamed. There are reasons we need unions.

That day summed up everything that unions stand for - people finding strength together.  Realising you aren't alone and that you have entitlements. Trying to keep the power playing field equal.  A few days after the rally I began to see more stories in the media about wage theft and new unions and resources popping up (see Hospo Voice). It makes me love my Union even more, as I am glad they are negotiating regarding our enterprise bargaining. I know I couldn't do it on my own. And clearly some organisations can't be relied upon to do the right thing by their workers (7/11, hospitality workers, and more cafe workers). 

Some people say rallies don't change anything. Even at it's most basic level this is wrong. I always feel that the one thing it changes (if nothing else) is the people at the rally. Being surrounded by other like minded souls is powerful. It can lift your spirits and remind you that you are not alone. And in the coming weeks I may need to hold on tight to this feeling.  Our workplace negotiations continue to be problematic. I fear there will be more actions.  Conditions should not be eroded and I will stand up next to my colleagues and say so.  See you on the streets, my friends.


 Billy Bragg: There is power in a union








Comments