Politics you can dance to

Earlier in the year I took a few days off work to go to gigs.  Remember them? Three shows in nine days. Hence the time off work. It's hard going out on a school night! But how inspiring it was to see live music again. More than just the release of energy you get from being at a show hearing music you love, these gigs felt like a good reminder about what is important.


All photos by Andy: 8 March 2023, Forum Melbourne


Riot Grrl pioneers Bikini Kill had reformed and were touring. We queued outside early to get a good spot at the front. We were surrounded by teenage girls. A sea of doc marten boots, black clothes and words written in texta on hands, arms, chests. I hadn't expected to see the breadth of ages attending this show. It gave me hope. I'm thrilled to report that age has not wearied Bikini Kill. Kathleen spoke during the gig about how as a 54 year old, she was learning a lot from younger generations. The two teenage girls next to us shreaked, looking at eachother mouthing the words 'fifty four!' with wide eyes.  I wanted to tap them on the shoulder and point to myself and say '53'. It's a nice reminder that at any age you can learn something from the older or younger people you have in your life. I am surrounded by different generations, but the one thing we have in common is mindset. 




All photos by Andy: 8 March 2023, Forum Melbourne


There was a lot of love in the room for Bikini Kill. Somehow in the intervening years since first releasing records in the 90s, their socially focussed and gender politics laden lyrics were more relevant. I felt a tinge of sadness about this. Kathleen highlighted that music itself couldn't change anything. People had to change things. She dared everyone in the audience to go and create something...anything. In DIY spirit, we could make something better than Bikini Kill. I'm pinching myself that I managed to get the set list!



All photos by Andy: 8 March 2023, Forum Melbourne


A few days later I was back at the same venue to see Billy Bragg. These gigs were originally scheduled for 2020. After many shifted dates over the course of three years Billy was finally here, playing three shows covering different albums of his career. I went to two shows, spanning his first six albums. Singing songs of heartbreak, solidarity, the beauty of the small things in life and biting political statements, Billy was worth the wait. Now in his sixties, Billy's banter between songs have lost none of their humour, warmth or political stance. Explaining the flack he's received from TERFs in more recent times for updating lyrics to his song Sexuality to include trans and non-binary folk, he urged us to get out on the streets to protest Posie Parker (visiting Melbourne from the U.K.).





All photos by Andy: 16th March 2023, Forum Melbourne


Billy echoed Kathleen's sentiment from the BK gig. Music itself can't change anything. Billy elaborated 'music has no agency'. But it can make us feel less alone. It can create a sense of community. It can unite us and motivate us to act. Only people can change things. With the rise of hatred and division, we had to be vigilant.



All photos by Andy: 17th March 2023, Forum Melbourne

Through a series of odd events (chatting to someone in the queue next to me who told me Billy signs stuff after the gig around the side of the venue, and finding a sharpie pen on the ground as I entered the venue!) I had fan girl moment of meeting the man himself.  I really wish I'd brought his book or a CD with me. But I got him to sign my ticket. He noted that it was for the original 2020 venue. I replied thanking him for finally making it to Melbourne and that he was worth the wait.



Fan girling

These gigs felt like a reminder. Age isn't an excuse for becoming politically conservative. We have to remain open-minded and continue to learn from others. To understand people different from ourselves and include them in the conversation. To fight hate. To not think that music alone can change things. But that it can act as inspiration for us and can help us not feel alone in our experiences.


  





Comments